Thursday, September 13, 2007

Hey Adam, have I got an apple for you!

It's been ages since I got excited about an apple. I've given into temptation, seduced by the way a Fuji or a Braeburn or, yes, even a Red Delicious looks and then, yuck, it's all soft and mushy. Or, worse, it tastes like cardboard.

But a friend tipped me off about his infatuation with the Honey Crisp. Oh, Honey, where have you been all my life?

I snagged a bag of these grown-in-the-Okanogan beauties last night and could hardly believe it when I took my first bite. Snap! It was everything I hoped for and more.

Of course, the prices are kind of ridick... like $5 at pound at Whole Food, or $3 at Met Market. Maybe I need to make a hunter/gatherer trip to the East side of the state and stock up on some at the source.

Now, if I could only find some peaches that weren't rock hard.

2 comments:

David Hinske said...

Good peaches are one of the few fruits that we ARE getting at the South Main Farmers Market. They are small to medium size, but nicely ripe and full of flavor. I made a peach pie last weekend - Bride of No Sluggo's first ever peach pie.

Virtually no local blueberries this year.

I have to remember to take a cooler in the car in the summer months when I hunt/gather. Good butter may be halfway through the excursion and I don't want to leave it melting in the Excape (as we say it, here in Memphis).

Kristie Lauborough said...

I've been eating Galas lately. They tend to be crisp and not-too-sweet and not-too-tart. My husband reached for the Red Delicious in Safeway and I about smacked him. I detest Red Delicious. There's nothing "delicious" about those mushy flavorless things. Blech.