Saturday, September 22, 2007

Hitting the pavement, in search of Skillet Street Food

UPDATE: After my excellent meal, and this posting, friend Curt sent a link from seattle.metblog that Skillet had been shut down by the health department. Dang it.
It reopened the next day, the day I ate there. I'm still rooting for Skillet's success, but it definitely took the wind out of my full sail.

Drove around Ballard looking for the Air Stream trailer that's home to Skillet Street Food, the Web site said it was located on 56th, but got out and walked up and down the street looking for that address. Nope. Nothing.


Then, I drove around on Market and there it was. I'm so glad I found it.

Ordered a pasta loaded with chanterelles, broccoli rabe, green beans, cherry tomatoes in a light parm cream sauce. Usually, I hate it when some menu describes a cream sauce as "light". Come on, it's cream. I love cream, but the best cream is heavy. Maybe it's because it was used lightly, not drowning in the stuff.


Anyway, I loved this dish. I took it down to Golden Gardens and sat in the sunshine and loved every freaking bite. It was perfectly seasoned, not too salty, not too little. And this generous portion with the lovely fall mushrooms was just $8!

Here's a link to this roving restaurant's home page so you can check out when they'll be in your neighborhood: skilletstreetfood.com.

No comments: