Friday, April 11, 2008

Rhubarb rumminations

Isn't this stuff kinda like weeds? Why the heck is it so expensive?

As much as I love it, not sure I can bring myself to pay $4 a pound for something I used to grow in my backyard in old Spokaloo, along with raspberries, blackberries, tomatoes, basil. Heck, the hubby even tried to grow corn one year.

It's been ages since I've had a real garden, and I can't say I really miss it. Except this time of year, right?

Back to the rhubarb for a sec: I had the most spectacular dessert the other night at Canlis, a rhubarb Napolean with Sicilian pistachios and fromage blanc sandwiched between delicate wafers. It was so beautiful. Bravo to pastry genius Neil Robertson!!

You don't have to do the whole three-hour din-din to enjoy dessert. Go sit in the bar and listen to the piano man. Order from the incredible wine list and have a dessert. You will not regret it.

No comments: