Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest, Part 1

 
Wow! 

It's been a few days, but I'm just coming out of my smoky pork hangover. The Super Bowl of Swine was everything I hoped for and more. 

More silly/frat party like antics, rivers of beer, cocktails famously known as "Pink Panty Pulldowns."

The dirty fun turns serious on Saturday, the day of reckoning. I was blown away, tasting some of the meat from Grand Champ's whole hog.

But my favorite bites came from the third place shoulder team, the Que's Brothers. The guy on the right is on that team. So's my bud, Commercial Appeal drama critic, Christopher Blank. The Que's Brothers head cook, Willie Wagner, owns a BBQ restaurant in Chicago -- Honky Tonk BBQ -- and he knows his stuff. I heard part of the finals presentation, where he revealed that he cooked the shoulder in banana leaves to keep it moist. Brilliant!

Reminded me a little bit of some of my other fave BBQ: Can you say Kahlua Pig?? I'm going to Maui in September and I'm determined to find the island's best BBQ'd pork. Any suggestions?

No comments: