Saturday, January 8, 2011

Dinner Diary, Part 6


This is the most ridiculously easy recipe based on a signature dish from my late mother-in-law. I almost feel like a cheat doing it because it comes out so dang delicious with so little effort.

I've promised to share the recipe with my daughter, who is starting to get into cooking... finally. I was the world's worst teacher. No warm and fuzzy moments in the kitchen. So, we'll try some long-distance lessons.

Dorothy's Beef Burgundy

2 pounds boneless chuck, cut into generous chunks
1 shallot, diced
1/3 cup flour
1/2 pound mushrooms, washed and quartered
1 tablespoon herbs de province
2 tablespoons salt/pepper (one each, then later taste and adjust... I also used truffle salt toward the end)
1 bottle red wine

Put the prepared beef and shallots into a Dutch oven. Sprinkle flour and seasonings on top. Pour in bottle of wine. Bake in 350 degree oven for three hours. Add mushrooms. Taste and adjust seasonings at this point. Bake an additional 30 minutes. Serve with buttered noodles or mashed potatoes.

No comments: